Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Wine fun #4

As I mentioned before, I was fooling around with running a game via wine on a remote server. After fixing wine to run the game, it was time to look for improvements in the remote connection.

While it worked via vino / VNC, it wasn't really playable.

VirtualGL and TurboVNC seemed like they could provide a satisfactory experience. My first attempt using TurboVNC as the X11 target for VirtualGL didn't work. It always resulted in a busy loop inside the nvidia closed source OpenGL library.

VirtualGL using the VGL Transport to my fedora 11 laptop, does work however! It's actually quite playable over a Wifi connection. The nice thing about this setup, is that the server is doing all the hard work, hence you could even use an under powered netbook as a game station.

I wonder if there would be much to gain by implementing a more advanced video compression engine in virtualgl. Maybe if I find the time, I might try to hook it up with libavcodec or something along those lines.

No comments: