Monday, November 9, 2009

Preupgrade to Fedora 12

Used preupgrade to upgrade my Fedora 11 to rawhide / Fedora 12. The upgrade went smoothly except for 1 issue. Apparently my /boot partition was too small (190Mb with 142Mb still free), so after preupgrade downloaded all the packages and reboot into anaconda, I was presented with a nice out of diskspace error. ouch.
I tried to remove some left over old kernels from the boot partition but it wasn't enough. Luckily I always have an external USB drive with me, so I copied the preupgrade image to that drive, tweaked grub to load it from there and that did the trick.

4 comments:

નિર્મલ પાઠક said...

Can you provide the steps as how you perform this task using USB pendrive and what changes are needed in 'grub.conf' for the same.

Karl Vogel said...

'fraid that I didn't write down the steps, so my recall of it might be a bit lacking..

But what you can do is start the preupgrade and just see if it works, you might have enough diskspace available and then there's no issue. If however anaconda detects lacking diskspace during the upgrade, you can still reboot into your F11 installation and then move the largest preupgrade file (dont recall the exact name) from /boot/preupgrade/ to your pendrive, then retry the upgrade. Anaconda will give a dialog indicating it can't find the file anymore and then you can ALT-Fx to a terminal, mount the drive, then back to anaconda and you can then specify where it can find the file you moved.
It should continue like normal from there on and since you moved the large file out of /boot, the partition should be large enough.

elm said...

i just download the fedora 12 iso file and will try it soon

Karl Vogel said...

If you downloaded the ISO, then this post is irrelevant, since I used the 'preupgrade' command from F11, which downloads all RPM packages needed to upgrade to your disk and reboots into anaconda. That way you don't need to download and burn the ISO file to do the upgrade.